There’s NO good reason to shoot morning doves:
(from http://www.stopshootingdoves.org/ website)
- Doves are beautiful and have a lovely “coo” (this reason was from me, not the website)
- Doves are NOT overpopulated…hummmm…but people are, what should we do with them?
- Doves are shot for target practice, NOT for food.
- Doves are NOT harmful to humans, property or crops.
- There are already 40 game bird species in Michigan and there’s NO reason to add doves...don’t even get me started on the other birdies (TOFU IS EXCELLENT!)
- It has been Michigan’s tradition to protect mourning doves since 1905, and there’s NO reason to change that now.
Did you know that Morning Doves mate for life?? Both parents raise their offspring. The killing of one parent is known to cause unnecessary suffering of dependent young who will die in the nest of starvation.
Doves are not a viable human food source. As small birds, even if shot properly, doves have very little "edible" flesh (GAG) on them. However, doves are an important source of food for protected birds of prey such as eagles, falcons, hawks, and owls.
Please see http://www.stopshootingdoves.org/ for more information.
Please Vote NO on Proposal 3!