Monday, January 08, 2007

My first old recipe I successfully veganized



Black Cherry Coffee Cake

Cake Batter:
1/4 c. vegan shortening
3/4 c. sugar
1 tbls. egg replacer
3 tbls. water

1 c. rice milk (or soy)
1 ½ c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. sea salt
1/2 heaping tsp. cinnamon

Fruit Mixture:
1 heaping cup of fruit - in this case I used chopped black cherries
(use any fruit - blueberries are what I usually use)
1/2 c. water
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tbls. arrowroot powder

Topping:
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. flour
4 tbls. soy margarine soften (I'm a fan of Willow Run- bad me)
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Now lets mix stuff up-

We can start with the fruit mixture since it needs to cool a tad after cooking. a tiny bowl,
mix the arrowroot powder w/ a little water just enough to dissolve it.
In a saucepan, mix fruit, water and vanilla- heat to a light boil.
Put the arrowroot mixture in the saucepan and remove from heat.
(make sure the fruit mixture thickens, so you might have to add more arrowroot - your fruit might be juicer then mine)

OPTION 1: If you don't want to go through all this, just fold JUST THE FRUIT into the
batter at the end (do not add arrowroot, water or vanilla)
OPTION 2: double the fruit mixture concoction- I will be next time.

Cream shortening, sugar, egg replacer and water (I used had mixer)
Sift flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon into small bowl.
Add sifted ingredients to creamed mixture, alternately with rice milk.

Pour batter (and it will be thick) into 8 x 8 greased pan.
Smooth it out, then pour fruit mixture on top. I take a knife and fold over a few spots to
work gobs on the fruit mixture into the batter.



Finally the topping. Mix the topping ingredients in a bowl, and mix until crumbly.
Sprinkle the crumbly mixture ontop of batter.

Bake for 45-50 minutes @ 350 degrees.


Overall rating- 4 out of 5 forks
* So overall it turned out excellent, the cake part was nice a fluffy & very tasty.
* The topping is - oh so bad for you, but sooooo extremely yummy.
* The reason I'm not giving this a 5
* The fruit topping-really needed to be doubled, which I will deff do next time.

No comments: