Tuesday, February 19, 2008

GET RED-DEE FOR DINNER!

Goods & I were invited over to dinner to his Bro's and SIL house this past weekend. In the course of chatting about the plans, I said to SIL- "oh- we should do a red theme party some day". Well SIL took the challenge, thus I too bring offerings of redness to the evening. What GREAT FUN!

For pre-meal food - SIL had some great Muir Glenn Black Bean and Salsa-
And per her request, I made Nacho Cheese Dip from Shmoooo's website - (close enough to red, wouldn't you say??). Love love this stuff....
Even their Granddog- DUFFY, got into the red theme.....here he is with Goods - a note, Goods is also adorned in RED, as was SIL and I.
First course - Tomato Basil Soup - from William Sonoma - SOUP cookbook. This was excellent, she used soy milk instead of the cow milk it called for....I'm waiting for the recipe from her.

Marinated fresh tomato salad...so nice and fresh, but we all agreed we really miss our garden tomatoes! Hey! Only 6 more months to wait!



Angel Hair Pasta w/ garlic, sundried tomatoes and roasted red pepper sauce. Loved the olives in it. It was a recipe that she concocted and it is definitely a recipe I'm copying from her :)

After all that food, someone was too pooped to party with her RED fish. This is another Granddog- Sarah.

So as we let the food settle in our tummies, we played a wild game of HI-HO-Cherrios (I know, cherries - I guess I should say RED cherries)


Not exactly sure what Goods is doing here, maybe just maybe Goods has come to LOVE HI HO CHERRIOS as much as I and he is showing it his affection. I love HI HO CHERRIOS- yeap, ask the youngsters and the adults, if we are going to play games it is mandatory that the first game is HI HO CHEERIOS. BTW, Good's Bro. won.
Then came dessert- Cherry Cheesecake "Ice Cream" -
Cherry Cheesecake Ice Cream
***Does not get rock hard in freezer ice cream!***
(NOTE: I did modified a recipe from vegsource.com and came up with this)

2 C. Soy Creamer
1/4 C. Powdered Soy Milk
6 oz. Tofutti Cream Cheese
1/2 C. Sugar
2 tsp. Vanilla
1 Tbs. Fresh Squeezed Lemon Juice

Chill above mixture, if you have time.

Cherry mixture:
Approx 1 cup of Frozen Cherries
1/2 C. of water
1 tsp. Vanilla or Lemon Juice
Combine in small sauce pan and bring to boil.

Combine:
2-3 tsp. Arrowroot
Add just enough Water to dissolve Arrowroot.

When the Cherry Mixture starts to boil, add Arrowroot mixture, turn off stove and stir well. Cool.

In ice cream maker put the “cream” mixture in and cycle for approx 30 minutes.
Add the Cherry mixture and cycle for 5 more minutes.

EAT!

What I really like about this ice cream, besides the awesome taste is that you can take leftovers out of the freezer and serve immediately! It doesn’t get rock hard- Now doesn’t that ROCK!

I have also made pineapple/ mango ice cream, instead of making the cherry mixture I just throw in, in the last 5 minutes, one cup of fresh mango & pineapple (cut in some pieces).
Totally yummy!
ALSO - When I was making the cherry cheesecake recipe I opened my Soy Creamer and it was BAD- so I used 2 C. of Soymilk and 1/2 C. of Powdered Soymilk.
______________________________________
We had such a fun time! And it was such a fun idea. Maybe for St. Patties Day we will do a green theme! More odd-themed dinner will be in the future....the possibilities are endless.
Enjoy!

No comments: