Saturday, May 30, 2009

Recycling Food

Since I've been laid off, I've been more conscious of not wasting food...I know, I should have been doing that all along- hey, better late then never.

Here we have a photo of nothing being recycled- At the top of the plate we have fresh asparagus, from the garden, just sauteed in a little olive oil with red pepper-oh and of course garlic. The bottom left I made meatloaf - this recipe is from Vegan Vittles- Better Burger recipe on page 106. I kick it up a notch and add some finely chopped walnuts, chopped onion and peppers - form it into a loaf and bake- it's lovely every time. The potatoes are Vegan Yum Yum's Potato Salad with Herbed Dijon Vinaigrette and were they ever yum yum. I didn't have the fresh parsley so my garden grown, but dehydrated parsley had to do.

So now onto the recycling the food....
What I do with the leftover meatloaf....no pic, sorry, but I crumble it up and use it in spaghetti sauce. When we had it this time I used jarred sauce -
Muir Glenn. I found a pack of three jars for like $5 at Costco, so I buy that all the time. This time I doctored it up with some roasted red pepper and sauteed onion and loads of garlic...you know to keep the vampires away.

I've been trying to use stuff up in our pantry that I've bought in the past on the fly, because they looked interesting- here is one of them...
OH- what can I do with that? I have you in suspense huh? Well I made this mess-What kind of mess is that you ask?? Well it's a recycled mess! The stuffing is Vegan Yum Yum's mustardy potatoes, fried up with leftover veggies from the fridge - broccoli, spinach, peppers, onions. Topped that with the Bengal Lentil's....here's a nutter photo minus the white goop that is on it in the above photo.....

What is the white goop you ask??? Well it is a previous batch of botched up Buffalo Mostarella Cheese from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook - my batch ultimately failed, it didn't solidify...it was more of a sauce- definitely yummy though....so we've been as a sauce as we desired- Freezes great- so no waste!

And they wrap you ask???? It's not what I tried to make before that failed....It's just simple garbanzo bean wrap recipe.....
1 cup of garbanzo bean flour
1 cup of water
your seasonings of choice- like I used
italian seasoning
garlic powder
garlic onion
ground pepper

Mix all together and let set for a half hour. To cook, lightly - and I mean lightly, spray a frying pan with oil (I found if you use too much the "pancake" will stick). Pour some batter into hot pan, flip with lightly brown...cook the other side (dahhhh). This is where it gets tricky - now flip the pan and make the "pancake" flip into the air and catch it on a plate...this is a crucial element in the recipe, the extra air gives it some extra fluffiness. I'm guessing people, that you figured out that I'm also giving you extra B.S. too, that last bit of instruction is totally optional- cool, but optional.

Now you ask....(you ask a lot of questions) "Do the wraps stay together when you pick it up to eat that mess????" Well technically, no, they fall apart after a couple of bites- but they look cool for the photo, and most importantly the whole concoction taste good together - SO USE YOUR FORKS PEOPLE!

All food was rated 5 out of 5 forks

Okay- enough questions from you'all today....I'm out.

No comments: