Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Vegan Chicken Cacciatore

I know- shocking, no fancy or smart ass title for this entry. Just a plain & simple for a not so plain & but simply delicious meal.

I've never had Chicken Cacciatore, vegan or un-vegan before. Not sure how I even came up with the idea of veganizing this dish- but I did know that I had to use this package of seitan before too long. Oops, I took the photo AFTER I cut it open.


Never had this stuff before - but it was very yummy, not to mention convenient!

So the recipe I was guided by to create the vegan version was from the foodnetwork.com site. It is right HERE. Now you will find my recipe, conveniently right below:


Ingredients:
1 package of seitan
1 c. soy milk
2 Tbs. flax meal
3/4 c. unbleached flour
1 tsp. (heaping) garlic
1 tsp. (heaping) parsley
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper.
veggie oil (which on is up to you)
15 ish oz. can diced tomatoes
4 roasted red peppers-chopped (I used jarred)
1/3 c. sliced onion
1/4 c. green pepper chopped

1 Tbs. dried basil
6-8 cloves of garlic- sliced
red pepper flakes
1 c. white wine
thinly sliced lemon (I used only 3 whole slices)


First, combine soymilk and flax meal in small bowl and let sit for 5ish minutes.
Then combine flour, garlic, parsley, onion powder, paprika and pepper. (I don't use much salt, so that is your call if you want to add it)
Slice the seitan to thin - semi-bite size pieces.
Picture time.....

In a cast iron skillet heat some veggie oil up. Once it's hot fix the seitan.
Dip the seitan in the milk, then dredge it in flour. Then fry it in the skillet until crispy, then let drain on paper towel until ready to use. Repeat process until you are done.

Saucy time next-
In a pan w/ a touch of oil, cook onions & green peppers until tender. Then add the diced tomatoes (I drained off some of the juiciness), garlic slices, roasted red peppers, basil, pepper flakes and lemon slices.
Let simmer for 20 minutes or so

Lookin' like this at this point....

A closer shot....

After the simmering - add the wine. The original recipe calls for fresh basil to be added- I didn't have any. That's a lie, I have some, but my basil plants are 6 inches tall, still in the little containers just waiting to be planted- but next time I will use fresh basil.

After mixing the wine in, I scooped out 1 cup of the mixture, put it in my emulsion blender cup and puree it...JUST 1 CUP OF IT. Then I put the emulsified part back into the pan and mixed it in. I also picked the lemon rinds, that all that was left of the lemon.

Now, I did not mix the fried seitan into the sauce - I didn't want the leftovers to be all soggy and gooey, so we just assembled the concoction on our plates

Goods had his on regular noodles.....and mine served on a bed of my favorite gluten free soy noodles.... This was totally awesome- Now, again I can't compare it to another cacciatore but I loved the mix of peppers, tomato and a hint of lemon. I really think fresh basil would add to it....so a message to my basil plants "grow babies grow"...but as we were eating, I did like the fact the the sauce was soaking into the coating on the seitan, so I might change things up a bit with adding some of the seitan into the sauce ahead of time.

Can I give it 6 out of 5 forks????

No comments: