Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Grilled Cabbage

I really do have a Belmont Stakes post as promised....I just have to have some time to compose it...you know, laid off people DON'T HAVE TIME! Geez, how did I ever work and have a clean house????

Well until I get to that post, here is a very yummy grilled cabbage post. My mom is notorious for sending envelopes with clippings of recipes, coupons and household tidbits. Uhmmmm, confession, I usually throw them away - one, most of the recipes have 3 or 4 non vegan ingredients in them and I'm just not interested in veganizing them....but this one - caught my eye. Sorry, I have no source of the recipe, except for it was clipped from somewhere by my Mom. But here it is....
Grilled Cabbage

1 medium head cabbage (about 1.5 lbs)
1/3 c butter, softened
¼ c chopped onion
½ tsp garlic salt
¼ tsp pepper


1. Cut cabbage into eight wedges; place on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 24” x 12”). Spread cut sides with butter. Sprinkle with onion, garlic salt and pepper.
2. Fold foil around cabbage and seal tightly. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. Open foil carefully to allow steam to escape.

I followed the above recipe loosely –
1. I used just standard foil, since I was out of heavy duty, and it worked just fine.
2. I sliced the onion, and put it between the wedges.
3. I didn’t measure the butter, I just slapped it on the cabbage from the tub (I use Earth Balance, a non-dairy butter)
4. I used garlic POWDER liberally- I don’t normally add salt to my food, and we love garlic, so for us, more the better.
5. I added some other spices, like dried parsley and paprika, but I’m wild like that.
6. Next time, and there will be a next time, I will put whole cloves of garlic, or slices in the mix.
Other then that, I followed the recipe to the “T”

BEFORE PHOTO......
AFTER PHOTO.....
This was soooo good, so buttery and sweet. (I love organic cabbage, I think it has such a nice milder flavor then the chemical injected stuff too)
Can't wait to make it for people that don't like cabbage - this will win them over! I actually had to send back a copy of the recipe to my Mom so she can make it.
5 out of 5 forkers for this one!!

And no horsing around, I will really get to the Belmont Stakes post- what a hoot it was!


No comments: