Friday, September 25, 2009

Vegan Cheese

I know, I've been lacking in my food posts...and what really sucks about this food post is, well, I have no photos...if you want to see photos of this cheese I'm going to HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU MAKE - go here - Noveleats....pretty huh? Along with this being pretty damn good cheese! Now, of course, I didn't follow the recipe to the "T" - more like I followed it like "Dee" because I like my food over the top flavorful - So these are my amounts I used for this vegan cheese:

1/4 cup (mounded cup) nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1/2 heaping teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 heaping teaspoon dried yellow mustard powder
1/2 heaping teaspoon of onion powder
1/4 teaspoon of paprika
fresh ground pepper to taste
1 cup water
1 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter

Then I followed her instructions:
First, mix the dry ingredients together in a medium sized saucepan.

Mixing dry ingredients together for vegan cheese
Add the water and mix well, then add the vegan butter.

Mixing the water with the dry ingredients
Put the pan on the stove, and turn on the heat to medium to medium-high and whisk continuously. As soon as you start to notice it getting thick (and it gets thick pretty fast), you may want to switch to a spoon to stir. Turn off the heat soon thereafter.


I served this on steamed broccoli with a baked potato- awesome. This is the best cheese sauce recipe I've come across...and I've made many. And what is really cool about this sauce is that it doesn't get all lumpy when it's cold- it's smooth as a babies bottom, when you take the leftovers out of the fridge.

Thank you Novaleats for posting this vegan cheese recipe - it will be a staple in our house!

5 out of 5 forks!

No comments: