Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Creamy Vegan Broccoli Soup

Yeap, it's getting flippin cold here in Michigan, and what do you do when it gets cold....make some soup. I saw this beautiful bunch of broccoli at the farmers market that I just had to have, even though I was going out of town in a few days and I had to use it before I left....so Broccoli Soup it was!This is what I did....

Saute the below items, until tender, in 2 Tbs of Earth Balance:
3 garlic cloves minced
1/2 c. heaping cup of chopped onion
1 carrot - diced
1 stalk celery - chopped
1/3 c. red pepper - chopped
1/3 c. green pepper - chopped

Add to the above when done:
1.5 c. veggie broth
4 c. chopped broccoli
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried basil (I used Thai basil)
1/2 tsp salt (1 used 1 tsp and found it to be too much)
1/2 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
Pepper to taste

Let the whole kit and kab-boodle simmer for about 20 mins. until broccoli is tender/soft.

Now add - 1/2 c. of vegan sour cream
1 c. of soy milk

I then took my emulsion blender and blended the soup a little. We like ours chunky, so I just zipped it a tad. Heat the soup thoroughly - and then enjoy!

Goods suggested maybe some potatoes in it next time.....I might just be wild enough to do it too! Stay tuned for some Halloween fun and until then.....Stay warm!!

No comments: