Thursday, April 16, 2009

Spicey Cakey

Sorry about the poopy pick, but at least I smoothed out the fork prints before I took the photo.....


This cake reminds me when I was little and my parents would treat us with this awesome spice cake bar from a local grocery store - I thought that was the bomb but....this is the best spice cake! Really, it's so moist- I've made it numerous times - but to warn you...the icing recipe needs to be halved. I do usually make the full recipe and freeze the unused portion....but if you use the whole amount, the recipe would be called cream cheese icing with a hint of spicy cake.

Directly off of Cookie Madness website: (with my notes in brown)


1 1/2 cups flour
1 cup brown sugar - I used dark brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp vinegar
5 Tbsp oil
1 cup warm water
1/2 c raisins

Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
5 tablespoons margarine,

softened8 ounces vegan cream cheese softened
1/8 teaspoon butter extract - didn't use
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Spray an 8 inch square pan with cooking spray.
Mix all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl (except for raisins). Make 3 wells, add vanilla to one, vinegar to one and oil to one…pour the warm water over all and add raisins, stir only until combined…don’t over mix. (sorry but I didn't make the 3 wells, I just dump the stuff in all at once) Pour into pan and bake for 30 minutes or until done.


Let cool completely, then prepare frosting.
In a mixing bowl, beat together margarine and vegan cream cheese. Beat in butter extract and vanilla. Stir in sugar. Beat until fluffy. Spread over cooled cake.

EAT & ENJOY! Definitely 5 out of 5 forks!

No comments: