Monday, October 26, 2009

Vegan White "Chicken" Chili

I guess with the fall weather setting in, my cooking mod has switched to a batch of weekly soup...but this week it was getting even more chilly out and so of course I made CHILI!

White "Chicken" Chili that is....

A closer lookie...

Goods and I embarked on this creation together...and it was souper (tee-hee) yummy! This is what we did....
6 cloves of minced garlic
6 cups of veggie broth (I always have Bryanna's premade on hand)
1 Tbs. of Olive Oil
2 Tbs. fresh chopped parsley (fresh because it's still growing in my garden)
Simmer all that together, in a large stock pot for 15-20 minutes

(you can adjust the garlic accordingly but with halloween right around the corner- we need the extra protection from the vampires)


Then add to the

1 can of green chilies (4 oz approx)
(I think next time I will add 2 cans)

2 tsp cumin

3 tsp chili pepper

1 tsp dried cilantro

1/2 tsp pepper

1 large carrot diced

1 medium onion diced

1-2 stocks of celery diced

1/2 c of red pepper diced

1/2 c green pepper diced

1 can of can cannellini beans (drained)
Now, after those ingredients were added - I took my emulsion blender and zapped the soup a few times to make the mixture a little thicker. The chili will cook down, so this step is totally up to you.

Now after the zapping we added more beans:

1 more can of cannellini beans (drained)
1 can of great northern beans
(Note: bean cans were approx 16 oz each)

So we let that simmer for about 1- 1 1/2 hours

Then we added...(well by this point I was solo-chef) 2 packages of vegan chicken (chopped) - like Morning Star or as I used, Trader Joe brand.

Let simmer for about an another hour.
Then right before serving add - 1/3 c. of vegan sour cream (Toffuti for me)
We very much enjoyed this- we took it to a gathering we were invited to and all enjoyed it...even though it was a meat eating group.
Enjoy!

No comments: