Friday, September 24, 2010

Yummy yummy bacon....

of course...tempeh bacon for VLTs - Veganbacon Lettuce & Tomato....

Just look at that tomato (the lettuce didn't make it to the sandwich yet! It has been a glorious year for our tomotoes - HOT & HUMID making extremely yummy and plentiful!!.

I am soooo proud of Goods! He has made the switch to tempeh bacon from the dead animal version...and he says he doesn't miss it with the "facon" I make...this is what I do....
[actually initially I used Vegan Vittles recipe for bacon but I changed to my liking - well OUR liking now!!]

Facon Tempeh Bacon.

1 package of tempeh sliced width wise very thin (like 1/8" or so)
Spray a 9 x 11 baking pan and arrange tempeh (soon to be bacon)
in a single layer

mix together in a small bowl:
1/3 c. water
1/3 c. tamari
3 Tbs of dark brown sugar
2 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp garlic granules
Pour liquid mixture over tempeh - coating every single peice

Now this is where I get crazy-
I take seasoning and sprinkle all over the top of the tempeh (soon to be bacon)
such as:
MORE garlic of course
onion granules
paprika
cayenne
fresh ground pepper
and what ever gives me kicks and giggles.

I let marinate for 3 cocktails....or in real time - do as long as you please, but for at least 1 hour.
Spray lightly, after marinating is complete, with oil or Pam like substance.
Then throw into the oven @350 degrees
Bake until all the liquid is dried up and now THE BACON is lightly toasty (ie - don't burn it).
Baking time is usually - like 1 cocktail - or in real time 20-30 minutes.

And there you have it - Slap the bacon onto a sandwich with some Veganaise and enjoy. I usually make a VLT salad for myself, but Goods gorges himself on 3-4 sandwiches! Oh how does he make room for more cocktails.

Until next time- Cheers



No comments: