Friday, December 19, 2008

Friday - Food, Family and Festivities

Last Friday was our annual adventure to Greenfield Village for their Holiday Nights. We go with Good's Bro and & Sis-in-law and we always have a grand time....but first we must feast on food! This year I got to cook! I decided upon PPK Seitan Portobella Stroganoff , I'm not a fan of mushrooms but I thought I would give it a shot - and am I glad I did. The recipe calls for 3.5 cups of seitan, I used the left overs from the seitan crockpot roast I made earlier in the week. It was perfect for it! Here it is getting all crispy....
Of course, I changed the recipe a tiny bit....
For the mushrooms, I used baby Portobella, small whites, and Shiitake mix. I knew I could hand the Shiitake, so that is why I included them. I didn't know what cremini where, so I went with small white fungus.
For the soy milk, I substituted Tofuttii sour cream.

Here is how it turned out.....

Served with noodles and broccoli..

Verdict: I LOVE MUSHROOMS. Really truly, after this dish, I've even eaten stuffed ones! Oh, I'm still going to be a picky with the fungus, but I now no longer can't stand them! I made rice noodles for myself (cutting back on gluten) but I don't think next time I would make them for myself- just throw it on the broccoli, which was a great accompaniment...oh or a baked potato.

Oh but next time I will cut the salt to just 1 tsp. I was the only one that thought it was salty, but since I'm the cook, I can do what I want.

And look how shocked Good's Bro was, because it was so good....
So after good eats, we were off to Greenfield Village....

It was cold....
It was festive....
This is in one of the houses you could go into and see how they celebrated the holidays, way back when. Look a table set for a VEGAN FEAST!
And here is the "lady of the house" explaining all about their celebration, and what VEGAN food she will be preparing for all to enjoy.....
I'm guessing you know I made up the "VEGAN FEAST" part..

No festivities would be complete with out some music...
Music inside and outside...
And the festive finally...
Perfect evening! We are so blessed.

Next up - Saturday's Detroit adventure......

No comments: