Friday, December 12, 2008

Is it crockpot or slow-cooker? Easy Seiten Pot Roast

By the way, it sucks being in Michigan right now!
But on to the regular schedule programing...


Week 2 of my self weekly crockpot challenge.....
Slower-Cooker Seitan Pot Roast from Vegan Planet.

Here is her recipe, copied directly from her website:

1 sweet yellow onion, peeled and coarsely chopped (I used pearl onions because they are pretty)
1 pound baby carrots
1 pound small red-skinned potatoes, halved or quartered
(I also added some chunks of celery)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup vegetable stock (I used 2 cups, will explain later)
2 garlic cloves, crushed (I added extra)
1 teaspoon dried thyme
(I added some dried rosemary cauze it's yummy)

2 cups wheat gluten flour
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 cup water, or more as needed (I didn't need extra)
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup or tomato sauce (I used ketchup)

1. Arrange the onion, carrots, and potatoes in the bottom of a lightly oiled slow cooker. Season the vegetables to taste with salt and pepper and add the stock, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme.

2. In a large bowl, combine the wheat gluten flour, onion powder, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of thyme, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper. Add the water, soy sauce, and ketchup. Mix well, adding a little more water if the mixture is too dry, then knead for 2 minutes until smooth. Shape the gluten to fit inside your cooker and place on top of the vegetables. Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 4 hours, or until the seitan and vegetables are cooked.

3. To serve, remove the vegetables and seitan from the slow cooker. Cut the seitan into slices and arrange them on a serving platter. Surround with the vegetables and spoon the cooking liquid over all.Serves 4

And here are my photos of the process-
I call this one - "THE RAW MEAT"

Now this one - "RAW MEAT ON RAW VEGGIES"
I call this - "RAW MEAT & VEGGIES COOKED TOO FAST" (I'll explain later)

And this one - "POT ROAST DONE AND NO ANIMALS HARMED"
And finally - "VEGGIES & GRAVY IN THE GRAVYBOAT THAT MY GRANDMA MADE"
This recipe was quite easy. I read some other blogs that stated that the recipe really took 8 hours to cook, I allotted for that, so I turned the cooker on at 10 am, and by 3 pm, the food was done. So it sat quietly on the counter until 6 ish. The roast didn't dry out all that much either, but I had no other choice, we weren't ready to eat dinner at 3 pm- I might have gotten a year older this week but I'm NOT ready for the early bird dinners.

I put my roast in a 6 quart roaster, so I added 2 cups of veggie broth. This turned out perfect since I was able to make gravy out of the extra broth. [side note, because I like to babble- I HATE GRAVY! I hate what it stood for, even when I ate poor little innocent animals. Who in their right mind would want to eat liquid animal fat - TOTALLY GROSS. So even as a vegetarian and then vegan, I still didn't touch the stuff....buuuttttt, I'm starting to appreciate it more. I started slowly, VWV chickpea gravy and now I'm up to making it all by myself now. End of side note]

Now the review, finally huh?

The roast - it was good, not wow great, but quite good. Maybe it was in the crockpot too long- nice flavor, I think next time I would add some extra stuff.
The veggies - totally kick a$$. Perfect seasoning.
The ease of preparation - great!
Do I need to go spend money to by her cookbook? - I do believe so!


I give this 4 out of 5 forks.

I saved the left over seitan to make "beef" stroganoff tomorrow night- pretty excited about that...not that I'm a fan of mushrooms, but I'm trying.

So Goods & I have a fun filled weekend planned, which of course I will share with you! So have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi ---

there are many seitan recipes i want to make that require a slow-cooker, but i do not have one --- i have often thought why not use your oven if set low enough, say 200ºF-250ºF ---

now i have 'official' confirmation from the wonderful Bryanna Clark Grogan --- in one of her many seitan recipes she says --- "If you don't have a slow-cooker, use a sturdy covered pot in a 200 degree F. oven" ---

ms good-dees, i am enjoying your web site


caminante in colorado