Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Super Vegan Appetizers

Well the Super Bowl was not so super for me...but our snacks were!  Allow me to share with you...first off.....
Pizza Dip!  Before...

After.....
I served with tortilla chips to maintain a gluten free status...but this would be excellent with some soft and gooshie breadsticks....just saying.

The recipe is linked above....I of course veganized it by the following:
Ingredients:
- 1 8oz Tofutti cream cheese, softened
- 1 14oz jar of pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 cup black olives, chopped
- 5 ounces VEGAN pepperoni, finely chopped***
- 2 cups shredded Vegan mozzarella cheese


***I make my own pepperoni....but you can use the store bought kind.  My pepperoni goes as follows:
I use the spices from the Fat Free Vegan Blog here then I use the gluten "dough" from Vegan Vittles the Seiten Salami, Pepperoni, & Pastrami Recipe. You might be able to find the recipe on line but I'm not about to be illegal and post her recipe....I value my freedom and my clean criminal record.
But you ask...Why do you use a combo of the two recipes....well I will be happy to answer that...I like the spiciness of FFV, and the VV "meat" seems to be moister after baking it.

On to one of my creations....BEAN CIGARS!
VEGAN! GLUTEN FREE! And YUMMY!
Served with homemade salsa and canned jalapenos!
So all  you need to create these BEAN CIGARS yourself is....
- corn tortillas
- a can of refried beans
- jalapenos - sliced
- seasonings: cumin & chili pepper
- vegan cheese

First- toast the corn tortillas lightly- you just want them cooked enough to make the rollable... here is an action shot.....I do them on my gas burners.....

But be very very careful NOT to burn or set them on fire....Not that I've ever done that before.

Next gently spread a layer of refried beans on the tortilla - okay, I usually just slap it on the tortilla.  Add a few slices of jalapenos...


I do usually preseason the beans with some cumin & chili powder....for kicks and giggles.
Add some cheese to the middle of the tortilla (middle is best for less melty mess when cooking).


Then start at one end and roll them to look like this.....
Dust them with a little cumin & chili powder....I might have used some garlic too - be wild- be creative.
Bake them at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes....you want them with just a tinge of toastiness going on.

Then a repeat favorite....roasted garlic toasties....I talked about them before but they are worth mentioning again.


All you do is..... 
  1. Take some roasted garlic and mix it into a container of toffuti cream cheese
  2. Slice some baguette bread and lightly butter one side.
  3. Put the butter side of the bread onto a prepared cookie sheet.
  4. Spread the garlic cream cheese mixture on each one.
  5. Top with some vegan mozzarella cheese.
  6. And Sprinkle with some green stuff - truly...I'm not sure what that is....I'm thinking maybe parsley?  The crazy sh*t I do...
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 ish minutes.
So easy and yummy - Goods requested these...so of course I abided!

So it was sad that the Steelers lost but at least we made it to the Super Bowl - ENJOY!

No comments: